Editor’s Note: This is the first post in a series of adventure ideas written by Robert Oglodzinski of AncientScroll.pl.
If you speak Polish or if you are not afraid of using translation software you can find a whole plethora of great adventures, adventure ideas and other material for your roleplaying game there. Robert is currently trying to raise money on IndieGoGo to make the switch to English.
Without further ado, here’s “Hunters in the Dark”, a scenario idea written by Robert Oglodzinksi:
Hunters in the Dark
modern warfare horror adventure idea
Somewhere in North Africa. Present Day. The players are soldiers or combatants in a modern day civil war. It does not matter which side of conflict they support. Their mission is to intercept enemy reconnaissance.
A medium-sized village on the front line. There is an old, destroyed (probably by bombs) school in the village.
- A large unit of enemy troops has it camp near the village (around 10 times bigger than players party).
- There is a cease-fire in effect, and the players have to be very discreet.
- The villagers are tired of the war. They don’t support either side, but they may cause problems for the players if encountered.
On the way to the village, the players find a mutilated human body. After a short investigation they are pretty sure, that the victim was killed by some large predator. Big, strong and hungry.
The players arrive at the village during the night, probably looking for shelter in the ruined school. They are unaware of the enemies’ patrol routes.
During the night they hear strange screams from the enemy encampment. Tortures? Execution?
On the next day a boy from the village visits the school. If the players catch him, he tells the legend of an old beast wandering the area. It’s said that every several dozen years the beast strikes, it kills people and animals for some time, then disappears without a trace.
- The players may try to hunt the beast.
- They may try to get in contact with their enemies to cooperate
- They may also ignore the ”beast story”, and try to accomplish their mission.
- There is only one issue: in the total darkness of the night, who is sneaking towards the players: enemy scouts or the mysterious predator?
Please post your feedback on the adventure idea in the comments below. Any comment is highly appreciated.